Home made Putty
- 4 oz bottle of regular school glue- not the washable kind (our first batch was made with washable glue, but the washable glue didn’t work to well, so I recommend using regular, all purpose glue. If you can’t find this glitter glue, make your own with a few drops of food colouring and a few tablespoons of coloured glitter.)
- 1 tsp Borax
- 4 oz.water
Instructions Mix together a 1 to 1 mixture of glue and water. (I made a half size batch for this demonstration.)
Stir the glue and watery together until completely mixed.
Dissolve 1 tsp of borax into 1/2 (4 oz) cup of warm water. Pour borax water into the glue mixture and stir.
Keep stirring, after a few seconds the glue will begin to “gel” up
Pick up the glue glob and squish it around for a few moments
It will turn into a pliable, yet firm, silly putty like substance.
It’s so cool! If you find the “silly putty” is becoming less pliable, put it in the microwave and heat it up for 5 to 15 seconds (depending on the amount of silly putty.) Store in a zip-loc baggie
DIY Glow in the Dark Foam Paint
This DIY Glow in the Dark Foam Paint is so much FUN to use at night with the use of a blacklight. You will only require three simple ingredients to make it too! We just altered our previous Foam Paint recipe to make this easy DIY Paint. What you’ll need
- Black or White Cardstock or light cardboard
- Shaving Cream
- Neon Paint
- PVA or School Glue
- Zip lock plastic bags
Instructions – Place the zip lock bags into a cup *as pictured (this makes them easier to fill and also easier to measure a 50/50 ratio). Fill half the cup with glue, add one tablespoon of fluro paint and then fill the other half with the shaving cream. Seal the bag, mix and then cut one corner to create a piping bag.
Erupting Rainbow Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- baking soda
- liquid watercolor paint or food coloring
- squeezy bottles
- spray bottles
Instructions: Making sidewalk chalk paint is incredibly simple. The traditional recipe calls for equal amounts of water and cornstarch with added colour. To make erupting sidewalk chalk paint I mixed 1/3 cup of water, 1/3 cup of cornstarch, and 1/3 cup of baking soda with each colour. Remember that the base of this paint recipe is white, so add a good amount of color to achieve vibrant shades of paint. For easy preparation I mixed the ingredients in a measuring cup with an easy pour spout to make filling the squeezy bottles an easy task.
Ghost Mud Play Recipe
3 bars of white soap (any brand)
1 roll of toilet paper
Optional- black craft foam circles so that kids can make ghosts in their ghost mud – See more at: http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/2013/09/ghost-mud-play-recipe.html#sthash.uLKkxRL9.dpuf
Instructions Grate the soup into a bowl, add the tissue and same water and mix
Ice cube paint
- washable tempura paint
- ice cube trays
- Making multi coloured ice paint is every bit as simple as making solid ice paints. It just requires more time. Water
- Instructions Fill ice cube trays 1/3 of the way with your colour of choice. As I mentioned I water it down, so I mix the paint and water in a measuring cup with a spout then pour it into the ice cube tray. I leave the paint in the ice cube tray to freeze. Once it is solid I add the second colour and leave it to freeze. Then I add the third colour and freeze. I enjoy experimenting with different colour combos